Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Back in Rome

So back in Rome and in a somewhat calmer mood. We got back into Rome this afternoon. After some battles with cabs (one was a gypsy cab trying to scam us, the other failed to give us back change and feigned innocence when Cathy confronted him. She broke out the teacher voice. He lasted about five seconds.) we managed to make it to the Canadian embassy and filled out a metric tonne of paperwork. Then a quick run up the street to get a new passport photo taken, and dashing back to the embassy before it closed.

So it seems, barring any last minute weirdness, I will have a new, albeit temporary, passport by Friday. We maybe could have stayed in Cinque Terre an extra day, but it would have been a hell of a risk with some very expensive consquences if we guessed wrong.

The embassy staff were tremendously helpful. Full credit to them, as well as Cathy's family, who rallied to my cause, sending along document to the embassy. They certainly knew who I was when I got there.

I only have two problems with the embassy, actually. First, it's in a pretty ugly and unimpressive building. Plus, Cathy was very confused as to why there were no Canadian flags to be found. I guess it might be for security reasons, but still, kind of weird.

Oh, and one more thing, and again, I emphaize that the staff was very helpful. But when they punched in my address into the computer, it didn't recognize Nunavut as a territory. It only has the NorthWest Territories. Ooops. It's been a territory for nine years now, guys. Might want to work on updating the software.

We're now debating what to do with our extra time in Rome. Cathy's looking at information in Pompei. We might do a quick day trip there tomorrow. Not as nice as relaxing on a beach, but still could be fun.

So I hope the worst is now over. It cost us some extra money and a lot of inconvenience. Plus, Cinque Terre is stunning. I'll put up photos when I get home, but it's easily the most beautiful place we visited in Italy. So leaving when we were just starting to explore was quite depressing.

Still, it could have been worse. And we've survived. So all is good.

4 comments:

nadinebc said...

Glad it worked out!

Anonymous said...

Pompei is a must.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am glad it is all turning out okay. That kind of stuff happens to the best of us. If that happened to my sister, she would have painted all of Italy with a bad brush. But sounds like you still have some appreciation. That's great. I hope you have a chance to go back and visit again! I can't wait to see the pictures.

Oh, is has your goatee grown back? What does your temporary passport photo like?

towniebastard said...

The goatee has grown back, although Cathy notes with tremendous amusement there seems to be more grey in it this time around.

I haven't seen the passport yet, but the photos make me look like a serial killer. As all passport photos do these days.