Sunday, April 13, 2008

Alas, no comment

I've been noticing in the past 24 hours that I've been getting a lot of traffic coming through my blog courtesy of the CBC website. More specifically, for the story about the federal government seizing a Sea Shepherd vessel off of Cape Breton for allegedly interfering with sealers.

So just to make a couple of things clear. No, you haven't missed anything....I haven't written about the seal hunt. You may notice on the right hand side a link for CBC stories. For whatever reason, if the story appears there, the CBC's Technorati search engine decides that I have commented on it. You may notice that with many CBC stories they'll have a bar on the side that says what blogs are commenting on a story.

So don't blame me. I'm not screwing you around. Blame the CBC instead.

However, several other northern bloggers have commented on sealing issues. And I am a Newfoundlander. So, you may ask, why haven't I said anything, especially when you get news like the Canadian government grabbing an anti-hunt vessel. And that several of the protesters are now apparently going on a hunger strike until those imprisoned are released. This is all juicy blogger fodder.

Well, two reasons. I resolved a couple of years ago to stop commenting on the seal hunt. My days of arguing the merits of the hunt are over and done with, as much for health reasons as any thing else.

And secondly, there are aspects of my job that now run into the realm of the hunt. And as always on this blog, I never discuss issues that might touch on what I do for a living. That's just common sense.

But feel free to peruse some of the other northern and Newfoundland bloggers listed on the side. I'm sure they might have a thing or two to say about the latest events.

Last Five
1. The sun - Maroon 5
2. 4th of July, Asbury Park (live) - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
3. The fall of Troy - Tom Waits
4. What are you waiting for? - Kathleen Edwards*
5. This heart's on fire - Wolf Parade

1 comment:

Megan said...

Very odd. I think the CBC uses Technorati to determine who's blogging about what, so I suppose they must automate links to you all the time about much much more than sealing. They probably think they're the talk of the blogosphere.