Monday, June 18, 2007

Signs of spring

There's about three days left in Spring and it snowed briefly today. Yes, there's nothing quite like waking up in the morning, having breakfast and seeing snow fall out the window. I think Cathy cried briefly.

Believe it or not, this is not the latest in the year I've seen snow. I believe I've had the pleasure to experience snow in July one year in St. John's. There was mass sobbing over that one.

However, there are signs of spring now that it's about to end. We took Boo for a walk out the Road to Nowhere this evening, which has changed a lot since I was last up there about three weeks ago. Some pictures of the walk.




This river was frozen about three weeks ago. Now there's a group of kids next to lighting a fire and playing ball.




Look! Colour! It makes us so happy.




Arctic Cotton just getting ready to bloom.




The joys of a small white dog on a muddy tundra.




Yes, it's a lot of rocks. I just liked the angle and the sky.

7 comments:

Kate Nova said...

Before reading the cutline, I thought for a wild second that the dog was some kind of northern goat/sheep that I hadn't heard of yet, haha.

Anonymous said...

Nice, we have Purple Saxifrage blooming here also. Your "Arctic Cotton" is actually Arctic Willow though. Arctic Cotton is more like a grass, and won't show the cotton puffs until fall.

towniebastard said...

Yeah, Cathy corrected me on the Arctic Cotton yesterday. Oops. Then again, there are things growing. It still makes us quite happy.

And Kate, he's still too small to be some previously unknown arctic goat. More like an over-sized rat. The filth came from an attempt to leap across a puddle in the same manner that the golden labrador he was chasing did.

The lab made it across without getting with considerable more ease.

Sheena said...

Barren.

towniebastard said...

You don't know the half of it, Sheena. I plan on hugging trees when I get home this summer.

Geoff Meeker said...

I love the first photo. It has the light and texture of a Scott Goudie painting.

Melissa said...

Nice photos Craig!

have a good weekend!
Melissa