Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Rain and weight

I woke up this morning to the oddest noise and it took me a minute to place it. It was the sound of rain hitting the window of our apartment. A common enough noise down south, but I’m trying to recall the last time I woke up and heard that sound. Perhaps when we were in Ottawa back in April, but I don’t think so. Or it could have been when we were in St. John’s over Christmas. But it was certainly October or November since I heard it up here. How odd to go that long without the sound of rain.

Anyway, it was a strange and not entirely unpleasant noise to wake to. It’s kind of soothing. And at least a positive sign that spring is finally happening up here. I’m about ready for some regular temperatures above 0 and to see the last of the snow and ice.

***

I was chatting briefly on Facebook with an old work colleague last night who mentioned he had just finished working out. I wasn’t back from the gym a long time either, and I guess the workout discussion triggered the fact that I haven’t put my weight up on the blog in a couple of weeks.

Perhaps the reason why is there has been no change. I stepped on the scales this morning and my weight is 230.4 pounds. My weight, give or take a few pounds, has remained constant for more than two months. Which is a touch annoying. For awhile I was ahead of schedule on the whole “lose 50 pounds in a year” plan. Now I’m behind schedule and suddenly the notion of being under 200 pounds by Christmas is not looking likely.

There are still tweaks to be made. I could still be eating healthier, even if I’m not eating as much. And I’m hitting the gym 2-3 times a week, when it should be three or four, if not five, times a week. So I guess it’s a matter of finding the next gear and getting to it.

On the upside, I have had three people at work tell me I look thinner, I am down from a 42 waist to a 40. And I do have more energy, but whether that’s from weight loss or the extra sunshine I do not know.

And yes, I know, fat is replaced by muscle, which is denser and can slow down weight loss.

Anyway, there’s your update. At least I’m not getting any fatter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go by your measurements for feedback as they are more likely to reflect the density of muscle thing.

M.