Friday, June 29, 2007

News of the day

A couple of actual interesting stories in the Globe and Mail today...

1. This one about Facebook and all of the new apps being added stuck a chord with me. Every day I’m being asked to ad some new app (I believe being asked to be turned into a zombie was the latest bombardment) and I already think my Facebook page is getting too crowded with junk. In fact, I suspect there will be a small purge after Cathy leaves this weekend. Honestly, who cares about horoscopes and fortune cookies? The movies one and perhaps one on what books or comics I’ve read might go there, but after that...

2. Cueing up for the “Jesus Phone” is pretty amusing and also gives some insight into the kind of people that would line up for days just to buy an, admittedly, pretty cool phone. Not many seem to want the actual phone so much as the attention or the opportunity or auction it off.

3. There’s this article about Newfoundland nationalism and how we should take it seriously. Yes, well, I’m a Newfoundlander and I take Newfoundland Nationalism about as serious as cotton candy. I’ll have more on this on July 1, when I’m sure there will be a healthy number of Newfoundland nationalist wankers flying flags at half mast or wearing black arm bands back home.

4. Speaking of not taking things seriously, and obviously it’s early yet, but the initial reviews for Transformers have been...positive. Almost a touch giddy, even. Given that this is a movie based on a popular toy line (and cartoon) and directed by Michael Bay, who has yet to direct a movie that hasn’t overwhelmed the senses, I was expected a horror show of reviews. And yet, no.

Transformers was never going to be the summer movie for me. I was a touch too old to appreciate them when they first came out (now if someone wants to do a Micronauts or Shogun Warriors movie, I’m so there). Sadly, I kind of suspect Spider-man 3 was the one I was really looking forward to, and that didn’t pan out well. Out of what’s left of the summer, I imagine Harry Potter (book and movie) will be it.

Still, it’s encouraging that it’s getting good reviews. Although I think I might wait until I get back to St. John’s to see it. I suspect the small screens of Iqaluit really aren’t going to do proper justice to that kind of spectacle.

5. The last episode of Studio 60 aired last night. In something approaching ironic, I think, the last four episodes have been among the best of the season. They were aired too late (the show was cancelled) and no one was watching (viewership was around five million people).

The one thing that I did like was that last episode they obviously knew they were doomed. So what did they do? Jordon’s baby is healthy and so is she after a health scare. Danny has proposed and agreed to adopt the baby. Matt has kicked the drugs, got back together with Harriet and appears to be revitalized creatively.

Jack discovers he’s not a bad person and admits he probably made a mistake firing Matt and Danny years ago. Tom gets his brother back alive. Everything is tied up nicely with a bow. Yeah, it’s perhaps a bit too much with the happy ending. But Aaron Sorkin didn’t go “fuck you” to everyone. He knew there were still fans of the show. He knew it wasn’t getting picked up. So why not tie up all the lose ends and leave the characters in a good place.

As a viewer, I appreciate it. I imagine Sorkin will be back on television again at some point. I hope he learns from the mistakes of Studio 60 (wildly uneven, too large a cast, unable to bring the funny when required) and make something I’ll enjoy just as much as West Wing.

He’s that good a writer, I simply refuse to believe he’s done. This was just a blip.

7. Finally, this story. I would have lasted two days. He lasted 30 and was doing just fine. This is why Inuit elders rock.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Newfoundlanders wear black and fly flags at half mast to remember and commemorate the unbelievable scrifice of the 1st Newfoundland Regiment at Beaumont Hamel during the Great War. On that July 1st, we lost a generation.
Please don't confuse the issue. We should never forget that those men and boys are no more, and they did it willingly, for us, born into freedom decades later. They died for you too ,TownieBastard.

towniebastard said...

Oh please, do not lecture me on Newfoundland history and use the "they did for you too" argument. I very nearly got a BA focusing on Newfoundland history (for what it's worth, I focussed on North Atlantic immigration patterns). I am somewhat familiar with the events of July 1, 1916. I know why some people fly flags at half mast and wear arm bands that day.

Just as I'm sure you're aware that more than a few people do it today not to commemorate what happened at Beaumont Hamel, but also to mourn joining Canada. There are more than a few people use use July 1 as a Newfoundland nationalism day.

Don't come here and lecture me Beaumont Hamel. Honest to God...