Sunday, September 24, 2006

Ah Macs...

One of the issues we're having with the apartment is that it is a bit on the small side. Which means that I have no desk to set up our computers. We don't even have a kitchen table to set up the computers. Now add into that a dog that has shown a fondness for cables and you have a few challenges.

Now, what would make my life easier is if I had the office set up for wireless. However, the two Linksy wireless routers I had before, were both garbage that I could never get to work right with either my computer or Cathy's.

So I decided to hell with it, and went and order an Airport Express from Apple. Oh, and a little speaker system to go with the iPod because our old speak system was too big with too many tempting wires for the dog to chew on.

So the router finally arrives and it took about five minutes to get set up on my iBook. We got Cathy's computer back (we had a tech take a look at it because she was getting a ton of error messages. Bloody Windows) and it took about five minutes to get the wireless working on her computer. Now all the wires are safely tucked away from where the dog can reach them. But we can use the computers anywhere in the apartment.

So allow me to once again boast of the virtues of Mac. It just makes your life easier, kids.

The only downside to the whole experience was the shipping. However, that really wasn't Apple's fault. The company uses several different couriers to ship their items. The speakers arrived using one and came here in about a week. The router, however, was shipped using Sameday. That took three weeks because, as best I can figure, Sameday doesn't have a clue how to ship promptly up here. Instead of it being delivered or having to go to the post office to get it, I had to go to First Air to pick it up.

On top of that they actually tried to charge me for shipping. I called Apple to complain and they tore a strip out of Sameday. So I think the next time I buy something from Apple I'll request that it not be shipped using Sameday.

That's a request I suspect I'll be making this evening or tomorrow. I've convinced Cathy that I need a new iPod, what with all the music Jaap gave me, plus some new music I've downloaded recently, clearly I need an iPod with more memory.

sigh. Anyone want a used, but still in good shape, two-year-old 20 gig iPod?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much are you asking for it?

Jaime said...

I'm always surprised at how many people use Apple computers. I'll personally never buy one because I don't like them, but I always thought Apples had a smaller share of the market than they seem to. Have you seen the latest Mac commercials? With Mac and PC? Those make me want to rip my hair out. I found some great parodies on YouTube.

This comment was useless, hahaha.

towniebastard said...

I'm honestly not sure how much I want for it at this point. I just kind of threw it up on the blog without thinking about price. Let me get the new one and I'll get back to you on a price. I also have to figure out what goes with it. For example, the old headphones are trashed, but I don't know if I'm going to sell my good Sony headphones with it.

And J, well, to each their own on Macs. Their market share is admittedly small, but they're still better than most standard PCs. The fact I don't have to worry about viruses or spyware makes it completely woth while for me.

Anonymous said...

Long live Macs. No regrets since switching at all, and my take on the commercials. Hilarious.

Come on over to the light side Jaimie, why put up with the hassels, everything is easier.

Anonymous said...

I have yet to convert my PC brainwashed husband to the ease and wonders of Mac...any tips on converting him?

towniebastard said...

Debbie the best way to convince your husband is to point out that Apple computers can now run Windows. It's a new thing that Apple introduced this year in a program called Boot Camp. You can switch operating systems by rebooting the computer.

The main reason people are hesitant about buying Macs is that they're afraid they'll spend a lot of money on one and they won't like how the operating system behaves. Now, if they don't like it, they can just run Windows on the computer.. And by several accounts, Windows actually runs faster on Apple computers than many PCs.

If you want, you can also get Mac Mini which is basically the low end Mac with just the hard drive. If you already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse then you can just get a Mini.

Go here to check it out - http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?mco=F9AA3F07&nclm=Macmini

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip, wish me luck!