Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Evil coming to St. John's...

You may doubt me, but surely God Hilary Duff coming to St. John's must be a sign of The End of Days or something. Perhaps it's in those Left Behind novels that are so popular for mystifying reasons. "And lo, when the Duff goes to the far east of North America, you shall know you are well and truly screwed."

There have been stranger acts to play St. John's I'm sure, but this is just really, really weird. I think the only humane thing to do is get a bunch of volunteers to stand outside Mile One with burned CDs of good music. I appreciate that most of Duff's audience is young girls, probably under 15 (and creepy males in their 30s), but it's still not too late to help. Put together a mix disc and hand it out. Stop the damage to the next generation before its too late.

You think I'm kidding, but when I look at all the metalheads I knews as a teenager, they're all Garth Brooks fans now. Further proof of the damage bad music can do to an impressionable mind at a young age.

Oh, and because it's on VOCM's website, and I didn't have this blog going when Canadian Idol was in full swing, allow me to add this bit of sacriliege - Rex Goudie didn't deserve to win. I appreciate the thousands of people who sold out Rex Goudie's CD release in under 25 minutes will disagree with me. I'm frankly astonished the show sold out that fast. No other Idol from Newfoundland did that well. Hell, how many Newfoundland acts can sell out Mile One, let alone in 25 minutes?

Anyway, the point is that while he has charisma to burn, seems like a nice enough guy and has a decent voice, he did stink up the joint in the last 3-4 weeks of the show. Realistically, he should have been voted off a week before, but wasn't. Still, as long as he sticks in his range, he should be ok. It'll be interesting to hear what his album sounds like.

And yes, I know I'm a musical snob. But here are the last five songs to play on my iPod, which is currently set to shuffle:
1. Medowlake Street - Ryan Adams and the Cardinals (Cold Roses)
2. The Waiting - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Greatest Hits)
3. Ticket to Ride - The Beatles (Help!)
4. Hollow - Sean Panting (Lotus Land)
5. Next Exit - Interpol (Antics)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, I didn't know Sean had solo stuff out (because, of course, I am at the opposite end of the continent). Must go check that out!

towniebastard said...

If you go to www.seanpanting.com you can find all kinds of neat stuff, including being able to listen to some of his music and a list of lyrics.

If you go to freds.nf.ca you can also order his two cds - Lotus Land and Pop Disaster. Alas, they're not cheap, about $20 bucks each plus shipping. You might want to wait until next month to order them, however. He has two new cds coming out - Love, Sandwiches and Rock and Roll, which is new stuff. I've heard some of it already and it's great, especially Beautiful One, which I think is one of his best songs.

He also has coming out at the same time a live acoustic record of some of his older stuff.

If you like Sean, I'd also check out Colleen Power as well - www.colleenpower.com. These two are, bar none, my two favourite Newfoundland musicians.