Sunday, February 28, 2010

Good night, Olympics

Thank God the men's hockey team won gold today. However, I say this for purely selfish reasons. Back when Canada lost to the US during round robin play, I said I despaired for all the navel gazing, having to redefine our place in the world angst that was going to happen over the next few days. And God, was it ever tedious. Granted, I'm not the biggest hockey fan in the world, but still. Day after day of it. I was beginning to dread trying to find some actual news, because there was so much of this crap to slog through.

When they nearly lost to Slovenia I believe I made a quip about thank god they won, because mass suicides are so messy to clean up. And honestly, if they had lost that game to the US in overtime, I think I might have bought a ticket this evening and headed to the Caribbean for tomorrow. Anywhere warm where hockey was the last think on most people's minds. Because the next few weeks would have been absolutely unbearable.

However, the forces of good and right won, our national identity as the world's supreme hockey power has been reconfirmed so all is right in the universe. And hey, setting a record for gold medals is pretty nice as well. I'm glad to see that after all the angst of the first week when expectations weren't being met. I think 26 medals and 14 gold is a pretty successful Olympics. Congrats to everyone who took part.

Having said that, I'm obviously skipping the closing ceremonies this evening. I'm just...done. I was probably done a few days ago, but manage to find a second wind once the medals start rolling in.

However, I'm all Olympiced out now. For one thing, I want to watch my shows again. I want to see some new episodes of House, Castle, Chuck and, of course, Republic of Doyle. If nothing else, I miss the massive traffic spikes Doyle gives me every week. But yeah, I want to see some TV shows again. Shallow, but there you go.

Anyway, there were hiccups, but overall a pretty good Olympics. Now, all we need to do is cope with the massive patriotic hangover that's going to happen over the next few days and get back to reality. That's going to be some harsh medicine.

Still, we're Canadians. We'll deal.

Although someone just popped up on my Twitter feed, screaming that Nickelback is playing at the closing ceremonies. I don't have the heart to check to confirm that. Maybe it's a good thing things are over now. Once Nickelback is involved, you know the sucking has officially begun. Or, as someone else just said on Twitter, it's like playing crap music at the end of the night when the bar is closing to get everyone to go home.

And giant inflatable beavers? Christ, I need to turn off Twitter and get out of here. You know it's bad when hearing about what's happening on Twitter is scaring me. Good night all...

Last Five
1. Money city maniacs - Sloan
2. Reason for our love - Ron Sexsmith
3. Statues - Foo Fighters
4. Bones - The Killers
5. Miami - U2


WJM said...

I only listened to 98% of the thing from a TV in the other room, actually witnessing only about 2% of the visuals.

And that is enough to have scarred me for life.

The suckification... you have no idea.

The Perfect Storm said...

Humour is very often an idiosyncratic thing. In other words, if you have to have the joke explained to you, it will never be funny.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and you have to go with the flow. The constriction otherwise can end up killing you eventually.