You want proof? Read the comments section of this relatively mild editorial from The Telegram yesterday. This was the first comment:
mmm...quite an interesting editorial from a paper that is owned by Transcontinental Media (a QUEBEC based company) with its editor from New Brunswick. Naturally this paper is going to be opposed to re-opening the 1969 Churchill Falls deal. They don't want to offend their Quebecois masters.
I read that and nearly heaved the computer across the room. There are times I wish all Newfoundlanders had one head so I could knock some collective sense into it. Of course, I guess that's relatively mild compared to the premier screaming "traitor" at the leader of the opposition and suggesting she's getting questions from outside the province for daring to wonder what the hell the government is up to with Churchill Falls.
Look, Churchill Falls was a shitty deal. It's always been a shitty deal. If you want to dig up Joey Smallwood's corpse and kick it around the graveyard a few times to make yourself feel better, go right ahead. Have a party. It's not going to change things, though. We are locked into that deal for years and years and that's never going to change. Why?
1. The instant any Government of Quebec agrees to reopen that deal and they take in once cent< less revenue from it, you can set an egg timer to how long they're going to remain in power. The people of Quebec will toss them out on their ass.
2. If positions were reversed and we were screwing them out of hundreds of millions of dollars annually, we would be mocking them. "Should have had some better common sense there, b'ye." And there is no way on Earth we would ever reopen that deal. Because we would be idiots to do so. And Quebec knows this too.
I'm not saying you have to be happy that we're being fucked in the ass for the next few decades. If Premier Danny Williams wants to create a provincial holiday and encourage Newfoundlanders and Labradorians to travel to Quebec and punch someone in the head completely at random because of this deal, why, I could be for that. But enough already at trying to renegotiate that deal. It's not happening. Enough of yelling and screaming every time Quebec says to bugger off about them being bullies.
It's tiring. It's irritating. And surely God someone in that government has something better to do than fighting this utterly hopeless cause.
1. Dumb - Nirvana
2. Midnight coward - Stars
3. Stay free - Black Mountain
4. Dueling chanters - The Chieftains*
5. Let 'em in - Paul McCartney