Yes, my fellow lovers of swift, brutal blue justice, The Tick is coming out on DVD on August 29th. Spoon!
Which should be excellent news for a select group of geeks and freaks who I know read this blog. We love The Tick and spent more than a few hours quoting the series. The cartoon, of course. There was the brief live action show, but that always felt wrong. No, The Tick should only be in cartoon form. Well, that and the comic books. But live action? No.
Anyway, if you've never seen it, you're truly missing a treat. I'm not going to try and explain it because, really, any explanation will sound completely retarded. However, Wikipedia does a pretty decent job.
The downside with this DVD, as the article says, is that it appears that not all the episodes from the first season are going to be on the set. Which, if true, is brain dead. I have no idea why studios would do this (other than, you know, for money). People are going to want all the episodes...period. Because the people that are going to snap up this set are going to be the collector geeks. And if there is one thing collector geeks tend to be, it's obsessive completists.
Hopefully, it's just bad wording (although the "Belated 10th Anniversary Edition" on the cover is funny.) I want a complete Tick, damn it. Although it's pretty clear that this is going to be one of these things that Cathy is simply never going to get. I've been reading a few choice quotes and she's just groaned and responded "Maybe this can be one of those things you watch after I go to bed."
Alas, she doesn't know the comedic genius that she is passing up.
And now, in conclusion, some of the wisdom of The Tick. Spoon!
- And that's just it, Doc - my mind has always been my Achilles' heel!
- Deadly Bulb. I'm about to write you a reality check. Or would you prefer the cold, hard cash of truth?
- Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.
- Gravity is a harsh mistress.
- I'm betting that I'm just abnormal enough to survive.
- I'm taking off the kid gloves, and putting on the very mad gloves.
- Like a great blue salmon of Justice, the mighty Tick courses upstream to the very spawning ground of evil.
- Not baked goods, Professor; baked bads.
- Ottoman, there'll be no Justice of the Peace for you; just a big piece of justice.
- You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!
- Breadmaster. Your culinary crime wave has crashed on the shores of justice!