If I have a regret about my run of unemployment last year, aside from the stress it caused Cathy, it's that it was wasted time. When I wasn't looking for work or doing my part to make sure the house was in good shape, I didn't have much else to do. The thing is, there were things I could have been doing, and should have been doing, but instead I kind of just puttered away on the internet or played Civilizations for too much of it.
I think it's safe to say I was not functioning at full mental capacity during that bout on EI. It's not one of the prouder periods of my life.
Anyway, I now find myself in possession of more spare time on my hands. I still have work, and I do have to take care of the dog and the house, but it's not like I anticipate that occupying every waking moment. So I've been coming up with a list of things to do while Cathy is back in St. John's (she made it safely home this evening after spending the better part of three days in airports). So far on the list of things to do.
1. Scrape and paint the front step and the deck. This really can't be done until more paint arrives on the sealift. Oh yes, and until the plague of mosquitoes at least eases a bit.
2. Finish the book. Seriously, it's been three years since I started it. I barely looked at it last year and that's just insane. I either finish the book before Cathy gets back home or I never mention it again.
3. Read lots and lots. I have a small ton of books that I want to read. However, I think I need to get out of the house and maybe go to a coffee shop and read for a bit. Among the ones I've got to read include "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" by Larsson, "Stories" by Gaiman and Sarrantono, "Wireless" by Stross, "Bite Me" by Moore (although I'm pretty annoyed that at a very thin 300 pages, he spends the first 18 recapping the first two books. Weak shit, my friend), Kraken by Mieville, "Eating the Dinosaur" by Klosterman and The Passage by Cronin.
So yeah, that'll keep me going this summer.
4. Take the dog on lots of long walks. Both because he needs to get out and romp and because I need the exercise. Somehow, much to Cathy's annoyance, I lost weight when I was home and unemployed. Since I started my new job, and its easy access to a Quickstop that sells donuts from time to time, the weight is creeping back.
So that's four things to keep me busy. Hopefully there will be a few things going on around town for me to take part in. It's going to be a different summer for me, with Cathy not around and no big trip for me to look forward to. Here's hoping I actually do the things on the list. I think that'll due for a start as a distraction.
1. Gone (Live) - Ben Folds
2. Let it die - Foo Fighters
3. How can you mend a broken heart - Diana Krall
4. Rollin' and tumblin' - Bob Dylan
5. Soloman's Row - Sean Panting*