Sunday, August 23, 2009

Dorset prints 2009

Although it's still about a month and a half off, I see that this year's Cape Dorset prints can now be seen online. Go here if you want to take a look at them.

This the the 50th anniversary of the Cape Dorset collection, so this year is a big deal for them. We've looked at the collection online already and there are two that we like.


This one is Cathy's favourite.


And this one would be mine.

Of course, it's kind of a moot point. Barring something strange happenings we won't be buying a Dorset print this year. We've bought prints each of the past two years. I'm not saying they're not worth it, but we have spent quite a bit of money this year (we got the Visa bill for Australia on Friday. Gah) and we have virtually no wall space left to hang anything else.

Plus while it's a nice show and I'm sure many people will find things to like in it, but there's nothing there that leaps out and says "we must have that" like the past two shows. Still, if you're in Iqaluit, I encourage you to go to the museum and see the show when it opens which will be, I think, around the middle of October. The artwork is spectacular and you can get quite a nice print and a reasonable price if you're looking for one.

Last Five
1. Warm beer and cold women - Tom Waits
2. Why God why - Mo Berg
3. Brandy Alexander - Feist*
4. Country roads - Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies
5. From the Ritz to the rubble - Arctic Monkeys

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Cathy's choice of print. I like it!

Morena said...

Love the whale. I'll have to check out the catalogue. I didn't buy one last year but I loved the purple squid if you remember it.

! said...

Too bad there are no stand out prints this year. I was hoping to fall in love with a Mannomee work... Meanwhile your walrus sculptures have caught my eye and I am wondering if you know of a gallery that carries Kuniliusie's work. They have a lot of personality!

towniebastard said...

Well, the only one I found online was this one - http://www.inuitartzone.com/en/artists/162/billy-kuniluisie/artworks/

They are surprisingly scarce around town. I suspect that's because he's from Clyde River and most of the local galleries carry Iqaluit artists first. Although I have seen them at DJ Sensations from time to time.

Coincidentally, DJ's is having a closing out sale, so if you're in town, you might get lucky and find one there.

And I agree on both counts - the walruses do have a lot of character and the Dorset collection this year has nothing that jumps out and wows me like in previous years. That might change when I look at the pieces in person, but so far, I think we're safe from dropping a lot of money this year.

! said...

Thank you for the source for Kuniliusie's work. Were I in 'town' and not in New York I would head over to DJ Sensations and check it out. Again, I appreciate your sleuthing, the website you posted is one of the two places I had turned up in my search as well. I'll continue to check the site and hope to find more swell Walrus there soon.

towniebastard said...

Actually, now that I'm more awake, I suggest you drop the Nunavut Arts Council a line - http://nacaarts.com

I bought two of the walruses at their annual sale in Iqaluit. If they don't have any for sale, they can probably put you in contact with other dealers or perhaps even with Kuniliusie, although I don't know if he speaks English.

Anyway, happy walrus hunting.