Monday, August 17, 2009

Didgeridoo

Just as we were getting ready to sit down for supper the buzzer downstairs went off for our apartment. Once we recovered from the heart attack from the combined noise of the buzzer and Boo freaking out, I went to check who it was.

Turns out it was someone from Fed Ex delivering my didgeridoo.

I got to say, I was doubly shocked. First of all, I didn't think Fed Ex did home delivery in Iqaluit anymore, so I'm quite wrong on that front. And secondly, I know the guy in Airlie Beach said it would get her around this time, but honestly, given the way shipping works up north, I had my doubts about it getting here quickly. But lo and behold, here it is.





Of course, I still can't play the thing worth a damn. And whatever noise I can manage to produce tends to scare the hell out of our dog. And I can only imagine what the neighbours will think if I can finally get the thing to work. But I would like it be able to play it. I keep thinking that a didgeridoo and throat-singing would be an interesting mix if played together.

We're actually planning taking a space in the apartment just for Australia. We're going to put the didgeridoo up, frame some photos from Australia and we're going to put these boomerangs and bull roarer.



We also bought another boomerang when we were in Australia. These two were hand-painted by local artists (I tried to be as sure as possible) so they were never going to be thrown. So I did get one just for throwing because I was curious. It turns out I'm not half bad at it once I got the hang of it. The problem is you really need a flat space to properly throw it. And a flat space that doesn't have boulders all over the place. For those not living around here, there aren't many of those around. My throwing boomerang already has a few chips from misadventures with rocks during a few errant throws.

We've been back a week. At some point I'll stop talking about Australia, I promise.

Last Five
1. Off Broadway - Ryan Adams
2. Elemental - A.C. Newman
3. The frown song - Ben Folds
4. Thunder road (live) - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band*
5. My way to you - Lloyd Cole

5 comments:

In Iqaluit said...

I burst out laughing a few times reading this post. Very funny.

jen said...

Actually playing the didgeridoo and throat singing is not far off what some of the more "professional" players do. To produce those high screeching sounds just throw in some throaty screams in at the same time your buzzing your lips.

We'd all love to see boo freak out over your didgeridoo skills.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

ahahaha Oh yeah... I bet the neighbours are really going to love the didgeridoo practice hour!

It is really beautiful. I am impressed it arrived so quickly and in one piece!!

Morena said...

I was down under last January, that's 2008, and I still say, 'when I was in Australia...' at least twice a week. It was a great experience and you can't help talk about it.

tanker belle said...

Sounds like yer gonna start a band.