Tuesday, January 22, 2008

You like me....

So the big awards were announced today. No, not the Oscars, but the Nunies. You know, the really important awards, damn it. Clare claims he didn't plan this, but I'm not sure I believe him. The time is a little too perfect.

Anyway, in a fairly cool turn of events I'm apparently a finalist for Best Nunavut Blog. So to everyone who voted for me, thanks for that. I'm not betting on winning - I think Kate or Jen will, but hey, it's still a pretty cool thing.



I know the awards are meant in good fun, but I actually am kind of flattered to be nominated. I've always had a weird relationship with awards. I never won many as a kid (everyone go awwww) until I got into curling and won a few (including a good sportsmanship award, which to this day is the funniest thing I've ever won). And after that, the next ones I won were journalism awards.

I know there are a few journalists on the local blogs. Let me tell you, journalism awards are cool and never let anyone tell you otherwise. I worked with two different editors who had different views of the awards. The first was a diehard in trying to win them. So she not only demanded good copy during the year, she also went through the process of making sure we entered a bunch of different awards and that letters went with each entry. And each year the paper routinely won the most journalism awards of any community newspapers in Newfoundland and hell, Atlantic Canada.

The other editor entered the categories and did the work, but really didn't care so much about them. They were nice and all, and it was cool when we won, but it wasn't a big deal. The awards were kind of silly and judged by one person and were decided by his or her's whim.

WIth the first editor I won seven journalism awards. With the second one I won none. I don't know if that's a coincidence or not, but I don't think it is.

Winning the awards was cool, no matter if you knew how the sausage was being made. It was great being recognized for your work. It was a boost to the ego. It looks great on a resume. And, as the first editor used to say, every time we run a story saying we won a dozen journalism awards, it makes the people in the community appreciate just what a good paper they have.

Which, I guess, is a long winded way of saying I know this award is just for fun, but I still think it's pretty cool to be nominated. Not sure if I'll add it to my resume, but hey, you never know.

Besides, I figured it was easier to ramble on about journalism awards than the Oscars. Aside from having not seen many of the nominees this year, the death of Heath Ledger kind of put a depressing air on all things Hollywood today.

Anyway, good luck to all my fellow nominees. And I hope lots of people take the time to go and vote.

Last Five
1. Goodnight Saigon - Billy Joel*
2. Ribbons undone (live) - Tori Amos
3. Gypsy biker - Bruce Springsteen
4. Evil and a heathen - Franz Ferdinand
5. Driver - REM

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! My vote is for sale, I come cheap... Yes I have no shame...

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congratulations! I am happy for you... and a little for me. My vote counted! Good luck with the rest of it.

In Iqaluit

jen said...

It is very exciting! I am so glad Clare is doing this for all of us! Puts some spark into this gloomy time of year. Thanks for your vote of confidence, but you have such a solid blog I think you will take this one for sure! Congrats on the nomination!

nadinebc said...

Congrats! You do have quite the entertaining blog.