Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Good-bye Gill

I appreciate the wrongness of criticizing a show that I’ve never watched. I’ve frequently lambasted religious organizations in the U.S. who heap scorn on a movie or TV show without actually taking the time to watch the show and see if it is worthy of theirhttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif bile. They’ve just read a biased synopsis or saw 10 seconds of clips and that was enough for them to base their decision that it was the most evil thing being created in Hollywood.

However, when I read this story about the Gill Deacon show being canned at the end of this month, I did breathe a little sigh of relief. As I said, I’ve never seen the show. But lord knows I can’t turn on the CBC the past few months without seeing an ad for the program, with that watered down, elevator-ready version of Bonnie Raitt’s “Something to Talk About” (that song is supposed to be bluesy and sexy, not whatever the hell that version is) playing and clips of Deacon asking inane or aggravating questions. “Is this a generation without shame?” is the one that, for whatever reason, really grates on my nerves. I suspect it’s the level of smug superiority that manages to come across ever so well in a three second clip.

So farewell and adieu. Even though I never watched the show, and never will, I’m glad for its removal if for no other reason that I can now watch playoff hockey without having to hit the mute button every time that ad comes on.

No comments: