Sunday, May 06, 2007

Back in the 80s

I normally don't look back too much when it comes to music. I tend to focus more on getting new music and finding new things to listen to. The idea of people listening to classic rock all the time is kind of bizarre. Listening to the same thing over and over and over again always stuck me as being a terribly boring thing to do. Don't you want to find something new and cool? How many times can you listen to Led Zepplin? Or Queen?

I mean, I like The Beatles and Queen, but if that was the only thing I listened to I would go mad. I need new things. Among the recent records that I've downloaded include Bright Eyes' latest (not bad), Feist (not bad, but I think it will grow on me more) and the Arctic Monkey's (pretty damn good).

It's probably why my iPod is now over 5,500 songs. I just have to keep finding new stuff to add. Granted, some of the music should probably be deleted, but as anyone with a collector mentality will tell you, once you get something, it's awfully hard pressed to part with it. Which also explains the 10,000 comics in storage.

Still, I guess I'm not exempt from wanting to look back occasionally in terms of music. But what I want to find is old 80s stuff, music I grew up with, but have forgotten about. The music that I liked when I was 13 or 14 years old, but were only minor hits. Not the songs that have been played to death like Madonna or Michael Jackson, but the song that got no higher than #28 on the Billboard chart and I simply didn't understand as a 14 year old why more people didn't like it.

That's the stuff I'm in the mood for right now. I spent part of the evening digging around on iTunes looking for that kind of music. It was an interesting venture. I manged to find "Don't Walk Past" by Blue Peter, "Radioactive" by The Firm, and "One Thing Leads to Another" by The Fixx (which reminds me, I need to find 'Red Sky at Night" by the same band).

In some ways, it's almost like discovering new music again. I haven't heard "Radioactive in 20 years at least.

It's not going to be a regular habit, this digging up forgotten 80s memories. But hey, it's been a lazy Sunday so why not indulge in a little nostalgia.

No comments: