Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tagged

So I got tagged in one of these random meme quizes that makes their rounds. Ordinarily I might be inclined to ignore it, but since it comes from the always charming Megan, how can I say no? So let us answer her questions and, in return, you get to learn a tiny bit more about me that you might not have figured out in the previous 1,600 odd blog posts.

1. What do your love interests have in common?

I'm going to assume here we're talking about my current (and only) love interest and perhaps what she might have in common with other women in my past. So pardon some of the weird tenses.

I think they were all more beautiful than they knew. I think they were all very smart and had issues dealing with their intelligence. Because they were picked on for being so smart, or singled out and made examples of because of their intelligence, or just never thought they were, even though they obviously are. And they were all a little...off, with their sense of humour. They were funny. Very funny. But their humour was perhaps not always appreciated.

2. What is your guilty pleasure?

I don't have any. Seriously. I love chocolate. I don't feel guilty about it. I love comic books. I really don't feel guilty about that. I love art and music and will buy them whenever I get the chance. I don't feel any guilt about those things. They give me pleasure and they're absolutely harmless. Why would I feel guilty about that?

3. What makes you angry?

Probably two things. The first is the inability of people to open their minds to counter arguments. It's one of the things that bugs me so much about politics - the inability to listen to a couple of different view points, debate them intelligently and have a willingness to change your mind if a good argument is made. I like to think I'm pretty open minded and willing to listen to different views. Those that can't stretch their minds that far frustrate me to varying degrees.

And secondly, the Glenn Becks and Rush Limbaughs of the world. The people are willing to say anything, spin any lie, sell out any ethics or sense of morality, even if it means damaging vast numbers of people, just so they can make money. Or, just as bad, just so they can have some attention paid to them. The world would be no poorer if they were not on it.

4. Who do you dislike?

I won't say there's nobody I dislike because that's insane. There's an editor from my time at the Muse who I wouldn't piss on her if she was on fire and I haven't seen her in 17 years. But those are old, hard wired grudges from when I was younger, angrier and much more bitter. It's like asking me to stop liking chocolate. Sorry, that's not happening. These days, I try not to let people I dislike stay in my life long enough to matter much. Life is too short.

There was one betrayal lately which still stings. I haven't dealt with it properly and perhaps I will when the time is right. But that's the only one I can think of right now.

5. What was your first job?

I guess that depends. The first time I remember working was at my grandparent's convenience store. I was seven, and sold pop, chips, beer and individual cigarettes. Let's just say licensing laws were a little more lax back in the 70s. I also covered my best friend's paper route when she went away on vacation around that time.

But if you mean my first job where I really entered the work force, the job my parents judged me to take because my days of getting an allowance were drawing to an end, it was probably when I was around 15 or 16 and I started working as a storeroom clerk for Shoppers Drug Mart. I think I made a whopping $3.15 an hour. I make a little more these days, thank god.

And there you go. I won't pass the meme on, but if you want to answer these questions on your own blog, then feel free to do so.

Last Five
1. If it works - Tokyo Police Club
2. Fugitive - David Gray
3. Cry baby cry - The Beatles
4. Wake up dead man - U2
5. Emergency roadside assistance - Sean Panting*

2 comments:

Megan said...

Whoa, it's all different over here! The black disoriented me for a moment. But I like it. It's a nice change.

Unknown said...

WOW! $3.15 an hour. When I left NS back in 1971 a nurse took home $150 bi weekly. Most of the nurses I knew and worked with were supporting med student husbands. After a year of that slave wage, I moved to BC and worked on the green chain at a local saw mill on the midnight shift and made $6/hr.