Monday, August 11, 2008

One week

So one week let until MUN's Board of Regent elections come to a close. I'm not entirely sure what more I can do at this point. The Facebook page asking people to elect me ticks along and is still picking up the occasional stray member. There are 86 members there now, which is a damn lot more than I ever expected to sign up. I've done a press interview with CBC Radio which I think went pretty well. If you're curious, you can go here and listen to it. The interview ran on Wednesday, August 5. It's the fifth item under that day.

Other than that, I think I might be done. If people want to plug me on their blog, well, that would be great. But I think that has to be something individuals want to do on their own. I don't feel comfortable going around and asking people to do that for me. It just feels....weird. Perhaps one more reason why I wouldn't make a great politician.

It's also interesting to note that Deanne Fleet has withdrawn from the race, meaning there are now 38 people running instead of 39. Still, I imagine a few people voted for her before she withdrew. Votes that are now essentially wasted. She resigned from the Regents during the racket over the government's interference with MUN's presidential hiring process. I'm not sure how I feel about that, to be honest. On the one hand, I admire her for standing up and saying how disgusted she was with how things were being handled by the Regents and wanting nothing to do with that. However, she's obviously someone with high ethics; it would be have been nice to have her on the Board and fighting.

Then again, we have idea what she's been going through the past three years. For all we know this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

As for MUN and the government, either the media have dropped the story or there's a ceasefire between MUN and the government. There hasn't been much reported in the last few days. Nothing more from Education Minister Joan Burke. Nothing more from MUN since the statement from the Board of Regents. So it's hard to know where things stand. But an update on what the government thought of the Regents' remarks, where the hiring process now stands and if the government will continue to play a role would all be questions that would be nice to have answered.

Anyway, if you're a MUN alumni and haven't voted yet, go here.

It occurs to me that I haven't actually said who I am or who you should directly vote for on the blog. Part of that is that I suspect most of the regular readers know who I am anyway. Plus, let's just say I like keeping my name off the blog for personal reasons. People who live and work in Nunavut know that blogging can be a dicey proposition sometimes. However, if you were to vote for that last person on the list of alumni candidates (directly above the "vote now" link), that handsome fellow with the goatee, you would be doing something that would make me happy...

Last Five
1. 29 - Ryan Adams
2. Under the skin - Lindsay Buckingham
3. Tears, tears and more tears - Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint*
4. I guess that's why they call it the blues - Elton John
5. Simple love - Allison Krauss

1 comment: