Thursday, August 07, 2008

Election update

One day soon, I will post about things other than MUN and the Board of Regents, honest.

I forgot to mention here I was interviewed by John Gushue about the Board of Regents election and how I feel about the provincial government interfering in the hiring process of a new president. The interview aired on Wednesday on Radio Noon. It went relatively well, although I always know how long they have when they air these pieces, so I try to cram in as much as I can. So it might sound a bit rushed. Also, my apologies to Dale Kirby. One of the things John wanted to talk about was the Facebook campaign to get me elected and I completely blanked on your name. I remembered it five seconds after the interview was over. But of course, that was too late. So terribly sorry about that.

I didn't hear the interview, but I'm told I sounded like I knew what I was talking about. So that's a pleasant change of pace, I guess.

By the way, if any enterprising reporter wants to talk to me about the Board of Regents election and how the current racket with MUN and the provincial government might be impacting it, drop me a line or give me a call. I seem to have no problem shooting my mouth off about it.

Next, the Facebook campaign is going pretty well. I now have 82 members in the group. As best I can figure there are about a half dozen of the 39 people running for the Board of Regents who have Facebook pages. I have the second most members and I'm gaining quickly on the one with the most.

Now, that might seem like a small amount, but as I said on the Facebook group, it's actually a nice voting block. I have the results of the 2005 Board of Regents election. The person who finished first pulled in 600 votes. But that's not the important number. The top six vote getters go on the Board. And the person who finished 6th pulled about 290 votes.

Taking into account greater interest in this year's election because of the controversy over the hiring of the president, I think at least 350 votes are going to be needed. I polled about 150 in 2005 with no campaign at all. This time I have the blog, Facebook along with some very vocal and supportive friends. So hopefully I come a lot closer, perhaps even over the top.

If you want to vote for me for Board of Regents, then go here. All you need is your name and student number, which should be branded onto your brain. There's now less than two weeks left before the election closes, so please vote and spread the word.

Last Five
1. Lighthouse - Ron Hynes
2. Now I'm 64 - Figgy Duff*
3. Wicked come winter - Matt Mays and El Torpedo
4. Johnny Appleseed - Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros
5. Rumbolt - Figgy Duff

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, this is a fine mess that Minister Burke has created.

Come to http://www.cameroninquiry.ca/

Click on discussion, sign up and let's discuss this.