Thursday, December 23, 2010

Fairy tale cover

I'm trying to go through the best of lists to see what albums I might have missed so to better prepare my own list, which I should have up in a week or so. Still, 2010 feels like a year where I missed obvious stuff. I mean, I'd heard of Mumford & Sons but for some reason just didn't feel like giving them a try. Until I did. And then started to kick myself for waiting so long.

Same things with Florence + The Machine. No idea how I missed out them for long, then gave them a try. Shortly after wards it was like they were everywhere. I'm not 100% sold on them yet, but damn, that woman has a hell of a voice.

I mention her specifically because I just saw this video on Facebook and felt like sharing it. It's Florence + The Machine with Billy Bragg covering "Fairy Tale of New York". Now, it's not nearly as good as the original, of course. This is too delicate and polite. It's missing the seething anger and sorrow dipped weariness and yearning the original has. But it's pretty enough experiment and worth a listen.

And hey, if nothing else, admire the balls of trying it. Christmas songs are designed to be covered. It's far easier to cover a classic this time of the year rather than create your own. However, few have tried to cover "Fairy Tale" just because it's a song as much about the voices and personalities as it is the lyrics.



Last Five
1. Demons days - Gorillaz
2. Say hello to the angles - Interpol
3. Oh, my love - Jackson Browne
4. You can make him like you - The Hold Steady*
5. Adam's song - Blink 182

1 comment:

Megan said...

Merry Christmas, Townie!