Saturday, December 09, 2006

One heart attack, coming up.

My sense of humour has changed over time. Which is a fairly obvious statement, but one that I think is useful to remember. Or perhaps I've loosened up a bit. When I was in university, especially when with the Muse, anything vaguely sexist was not funny. It was to be quickly condemned, no matter what it was. I'm not sure if Hooters came into existence during my time with the paper, but if it did, I'm certain there were members of the staff that wanted to firebomb it. Or at least loudly protest.

But see, and I might get some flack on this, there are things which are obviously sexist but that I still get amusement out of. Let's take this story for example. Basically, a restaurant in Phoenix has decided to go with a medical theme for their restaurant that also happens to feature waitresses dressed as naughty "nurses". Real nurses in Arizona are upset and threatening legal action against the restaurant's owner, saying he's demeaning their profession. He's saying for God's sake, get a sense of humour.

For the most I'm siding with him. Sure I would have liked him to have come up with a better theme for a restaurant, but this is not the end of the world. Nor do I think people are now going to think less of nurses and the way they do their job because of some scantily-clad women in nurse outfits.

But then I visited The Heart Attack Grill website because I was curious after reading the story. If anything, people ought to be upset with American's continued determination to make certain each and everyone of them can have a heart attack, given what he has on his menu.

But hey, it's clever, funny stuff. The burgers are called either a single, double, triple or quadruple bypass. I mean, look at one of these damn things.



And the best part with the burger is that they offer wheelchair service to your car if you get the triple of quadruple bypass burgers. The "flatliner" fries are proudly cooked in lard. They advertise what cigarettes you can have with your meal. It's about as unhealthy a restaurant as I've seen in quite some time. But that seems to be a trend in America these days. "We're unhealthy. We're very proud of that. If you want food that's good for you, don't come here. We're trying to kill you. But you'll like the food as you croke."

And hell, it appears to be working.

So yeah, people aren't upset about a menu designed to make you fat, unhealthy and eventually kill you. They're upset about the sexy nurses. sigh

But hell, I still think it's funny.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Hey, I know this place. Jeff and I saw it on TV awhile ago. We thought it was hilarious, too.


--jaime

Anonymous said...

I don't know what the big deal is, as a prostitute, you don't see me complaining that every year people dress up as me on Halloween.

towniebastard said...

I've got to say, I've had some interesting new people post on this thread.

And, you know, the point about prostitutes and Halloween...never would have thought about it, but yeah, I can't argue that point.