Saturday, September 24, 2005

I guess it better be super

I love comic books and the recent boom in comic releated movies has been a joy for me. Even terrible films (Like Elektra) still have a certain fun about them. It has to be really, really, really terrible (ie. Catwoman) for me to want to hurt people.

Plus, we've seen some great movies in the past year. Batman Begins and Sin City were fantastic and will end up on critics end of year list. Hell, even Contantine had its charms. I'm looking forward to seeing the new A History of Violence (based on a little seen graphic novel). I was desperately looking forward to seeing V For Vendetta, but I'm hearing it might be delayed until March 2006, which is unfortunate. Really, if you have a guy wandering around wearing a Guy Fawkes mask and blowing stuff in London as an act of rebellion against an oppressive government, a November 5 (It was suppose to be released Nov. 4, but close enough) date is perfect.

There are several big comic book movies next year. Ghost Rider with Nic Cage (wary of that one) X-Men 3 (wary of that one as well) and Superman. Which, it now seems, is destined to become the most expensive movie ever made.

Don't believe me? Read this article.

Wow. Just...wow. Do you know how much money that's going to have to make to break even? I would guess, and this is rough, at least $700 million worldwide. Movie making accounting is nortoriously crooked. Throw in marketing to the costs (easily another $100 million), but add in DVD sales, rights to the networks and merchandising (toys, clothing, etc) and it's a mess to figure out. But yeah, I think $700 million worldwide is a pretty safe break even point.

How many have done that? Not many.

So good luck guys. You're going to need it. Seriously.

3 comments:

NL-ExPatriate said...

Hmm that Guy Fawks one sounds interesting. Especially since I was a military Engineer and love playing with explosives :)

When is Bon fire night anyway? I can never remember. You would think that with having cut trees for a month straight when I was a kid to get ready for Bon fire night I would remember?

NL-ExPatriate said...

Hmm that Guy Fawks one sounds interesting. Especially since I was a military Engineer and love playing with explosives :)

When is Bon fire night anyway? I can never remember. You would think that with having cut trees for a month straight when I was a kid to get ready for Bon fire night I would remember?

NL-ExPatriate said...

Hmm strange double posted?