Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Change of (entertainment) seasons

The TV season will be winding down over the next few weeks, which means I'm going to essentially stop watching TV, with the exception of DVDs (assuming Canada Post ever delivers my PS3 - still in Vancouver, by the way) and the World Cup next month. It's always kind of sad to reach the end of the season...I'm not as badly addicted to some of these shows as I was to ones in the past - dear God, the X-Files season finales were brutal - but I will miss some of these over the summer. Although I strongly suspect Fringe might give me a seizure, given the build up the last month or so.

The good news is for the first time in my life, every single show I watch is coming back next season. Chuck, House, Castle, Republic of Doyle, Human Target, Bones, Fringe and The Amazing Race all got picked up. Granted, at least two of those shows - Chuck and the Human Target - I don't expect to live through all of next season. But I get more of my favourite shows, and that makes me happy.

So with the end of the TV season, I swing now into summer movie season. It's going to be a bit weird for me this year as I'm likely going to be down south for only a few days. That means most of my movies will be seen at the local cinemas. They're lovely and all, but the screen isn't as big. Plus, it can takes weeks for "new" releases to make it here. Iron Man 2 isn't play here yet, and it doesn't look like its coming this week either as a Nightmare on Elm Street is opening.

So let's see what movies coming out this summer I'm marking on calendar. With Cathy going to be gone most of the summer, I'm certainly going to have some free time on my hands in July and August, so I'll be in need of entertainment.

May
Iron Man 2 - duh.
Robin Hood - still on the fence and the initial reviews are not great.
Prince of Persia - Never played the games, so this has no sway on me one way or another. If the reviews are good, I'll give it a chance.
Sex and the City 2 - Not if you put a gun to my head, my dog's head and my wife's head.
Shrek Forever After - The third movie really wasn't that great, so I have my doubts about this one as well.

June
Knight and Day - It's Tom Cruise being crazy, which is a real stretch for him. Probably not.
Jonah Hex - It's based on a comic I quite like, so I will go. It stars Megan Fox, so it's not likely to be good. At all.
Twilight: Eclipse - See answer to Sex and the City 2
The Karate Kid - Probably not, no.
Toy Story 3 - It's Pixar, so I'll go. But I really wish they had come out with another original instead of a sequel. And if you had to do a sequel, then Incredibles 2 would have been my preference.
Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Undead - It will never play here in a million years, but I really want to see it.
The A-Team - Probably, but I honestly have my doubts it could be more fun than The Losers, which I saw last night.

July
Inception - Oh hell yes.
Predators - Could be awful, could be good cheesy fun.
The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Sure, I'll chip in a few bucks towards Nicholas Cage's "Please get me out of bankruptcy fund". Looks stupid, but if it's stupid and fun, then I'm in.
Despicable Me - Looks fun. I love a movie based on super villains.
Salt - Angelina Jolie playing a spy bad-ass. Could go either way.

August
Eat, Pray, Love - See answers to Sex and the City 2 and Twilight.
The Expendables - I know it's going to be deeply, deeply stupid. Just be fun, that's all I ask.
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - Oh hell yes.

Any suggestions?

Last Five
1. Here comes the sun - The Beatles*
2. 21st century - The Living End
3. Beautiful, sorta - Ryan Adams
4. Volcano - Beck
5. Sing the changes (live) - Paul McCartney

No comments: