Sunday, April 08, 2012

Where the weird end up...

I guess before I get too deeply into this blog post I should mention something about the last Republic of Doyle....which is that it was that stupid that I think I finally might give up on the show. If the whole plot about accidentally robbing $2 million in gold bars didn't give you a brain cramp with it's overwhelming stupidity, then I have nothing for you. At all. It was dumbass from start to finish.

Also, and I know this is purely me, the last song they played before the credits rolled, really annoyed me. I like the idea that they're apparently going to end each season with a Ron Hynes slong, but "Atlantic Blue" is as close to a sacred Newfoundland song as there is. For those whoe don't know the history, it was written as almost a hymn for the men who lost their lives in the Ocean Ranger disaster 30 years ago. So yes, let's use a 15 second clip of it over a closing montage showing Des bleeding from a gunshot wound.

Gah. It just really annoyed me. It's a beautiful, beautiful song and you're going to waste it on this? Someone deserves a boot to the head. Seriously.

Anyway, as we clearly needed to recover from the mental damage the show inflicted, Cathy and I find outselves in warming climes. Yes, it's our annual (well, third year) pilgrimage to the land of the crazy....Florida. As a percautionary measure, we've left our hoodies at home.

Florida is always guaratneed to produce a steady stream of weird moments. Yesterday was my quest to get a hair cut...because as nice as my guy in Iqaluit is, we're looking at 30+ dollars there, versus $12 here. Which is why I was looking like bozo the clown the last week or so. But my usual marginally racist barber was closed unilt Monday, so I was left scrambling. Finally found a place that was open, walked in and discovered that, including me, there were exactly two white people out of the 20 or so people in there.

Still, excellent hair cut. Seriously, one of the best I've had in years. I mean, the guy spent 20 minutes on my hair. If you've seen how much I have left, you understand that you have to work to spend that much time on my hair. But man, they were thorough. Hell, there was a guy there who got in the chair next to me 20 minutes before I did and was still there when my cut was finished. If I had run into him on the street, I wouldn't have said he needed a cut to begin with. But they were seriously good barbers. Next time I'm back here, I'm hunting them down again.

Last night we did a walk down the beach and back (in lieu of my gym workouts, I'll be walking the beach at least twice a day) and came across a woman with a bunny (the easter bunny?) who were watching a pair of belly dancers playing with fire...literally. One had a hula hoop of fire, the other was doing something with a sword. I have pics to prove I haven't been drinking, but don't have an adapter to transfer them to the iPad. Not yet anyway. Maybe later this week.

Today was just the redneck flea market of the damned. Except I'm apparently getting blaise about it's charms. We burned through it in less than two hours this time. It seemed less interesting this time, although the price of food ($1.50 for a pineapple) still made me weep.

This evening is a buffet (a good one, apparently, as it costs more than $6 per person) and tomorrow is our Restocking of the Wardrobes, as we hit an outlet mall and drop an appalling amount of money in a few hours so we don't have to buy clothes for the rest of the year. Cathy's mom isn't coming this year. I think we scarred her for life last year.

More updates as more weirdness happens.

Last Five
1. Everybody knows (live) - Leonard Cohen
2. Magpie to the morning - Neko Case*
3. Gone tomorrow - The Monday Nights
4. Buzz Fledderjohn - Tom Waits
5. The loneliness - Fightened Rabbits

5 comments:

John, Perth AU said...

Here in Perth I work on weather and wave forecasting for offshore oil platforms in NW Australia, the tropical cyclone capital of the world. The Ocean Ranger is used as a cautionary tale on how fast weather systems can develop. I grew up in Florida (Miami) in the 60s and 70s, and still have relatives there. It was weird then and is even weirder now. Yes, not exactly a thinking man's finale on Doyle. Hawco's probably going to have to hit the gym really hard this year to get ready for all the shirtless scenes he'll need to do next season to keep people watching. James Garner he's not.

John, Perth AU said...

Found this 2002 CTV doco on the Ocean Ranger, split in six parts on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc-gEtByAV4

John, Perth AU said...

Forgot to mention, doco narrated by Gordon Pinsent!

Harry Statesider said...

I must admit at this point the show has developed a sort of train wreck appeal. That is, how stupid will it be this week? Anyway, not that you really care, but here's an interesting interview with Hawco about the future of the show:

http://thetelevixen.com/2012/04/republic-of-doyle-allan-hawco-1/

Adam Snider said...

Oh geez, if Hawco thinks that they've finally hit their stride, in the midst of what might have been the worst season so far, I may have to rethink making Republic of Doyle appointment TV next season.