Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A few things

1. I don't know why this story about a 78-year-old man who is legally blind grabbed my interest so much, but it is kind of weird. And I imagine it produces a "well, that's kind of cool" reaction to people like me who don't bowl and perhaps a sense of despair in those who do bowl.

However, I don't really know anyone who bowls seriously. Well, I do kind of know one. Author Peter David takes his bowling quite seriously. However, other than meeting him for about 30 seconds during the New York Comic Con, I wouldn't say that I know him. Still, on a lark, I emailed the story to him. And much to my surprise, about 20 minutes later I got a response.

I won't print what he said, other than he had heard of the story and wasn't exactly feeling inspired. So I guess that's that mystery solved. And hey, Peter David responded to my email. That's kind of cool.

2. A fascinating story on NPR about Gender Identity Disorder. What happens if you have a young child who firmly believes they should be the opposite sex. Part one focusses on boys who believe they are girls. Two psychologists offer up radically different ways they believe is best to deal with the situation.

3. Once upon a time I used to review TV shows, but given the clusterfuck this season has been, I haven't bothered too much. My favourite show continues to be "House" and while the first couple of shows back after the strike were all right, I had pretty much resigned myself to having to wait until the fall to get the really good stuff again.

Except last night's episode was a home run. One of the best of the series. And yes, smarter people than myself probably could have figured out the twist at the end, but I never really bother with these things. The enjoyment for me in mysteries has never been about solving them ahead of everyone else, it's been about watching the pieces fall and see if they land in an entertaining manner.

They all fell into place seamlessly last night. Cathy clued in about 30 seconds ahead of me, but there was still that delightful "holy fuck!" moment at the end that nicely sets up the season finale next week.

Someone explain to me again how Hugh Laurie hasn't won the Emmy for best actor yet? Here's the recap, in case you missed it.

4. I've espoused many times how much I enjoy Colleen Power's music. I consider her to be one of the finest singer/songwriters in Newfoundland. And it's a pity I can't convince her to play up here because I haven't seen her perform since 2005 and I'd love to see her play again.

Fortunately, I will soon get to hear some new music from her. Colleen's new CD "Rejects" (the title comes from how many times she was rejected for grant funding to record the album) will be coming out next month. For those of you would like to get a real deal and a chance to sample Colleen's work, she has a special offer on the go right now. Pre-order her CD and you can get it for just $10 s/h included. I think that's a hell of a deal. Send a check or money order to:

Colleen Power
P.O. Box 5332, Station C
St. John's NL
A1C 5W2
Canada

If you're outside of Canada, you should probably email her first, just to be on the safe side - baygirlmusic AT yahoo.ca

The CD will be put in the mail the day after the CD release party, which is June 13 at the Rose and Thistle, I believe. Go and buy it. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Last Five
1. Sacrifice - Oh Susanna
2. Jacksonville - Sufjan Stevens
3. Your bruise - Death Cab for Cutie
4. Diva's lament - Spamalot Broadway Cast Recording
5. Save me - The Donnas

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find it unusual that two psychologists would offer up two radically different solutions. If it is two psychologists they would normally offer up three or more radically different solutions.

In trials I often wondered if the two psychologists who examined the accused even saw the same person.