So I've been watching the slow and steady build of fury towards Greg Gutfeld, the host of a late late night show on Fox News. Gutfeld, as most Canadians now know, said some disparaging things about the Canadian military. Even his "apology" was designed to be mock and generate more attention. While it's nice to see Canadians rallying around their soldiers, this is a tempest in a teapot.
Allow me to make two points that should be really obvious to most people:
1. This is Fox News. If there is a more disreputable, dishonourable and genuinely useless waste of airways then I'm hard pressed to think of one.
2. This is a guy who, on a network filled with some genuinely crazy and despicable "personalities", was considered talented enough to be put on the air at 2 a.m.
So, to sum up, a "satirist" who goes on air at 2 a.m. on one of the worst networks known to mankind says mean about Canada's military and we freak out. Dear God, are we that insecure as a country that we need to worry about whack jobs on whack job networks?
Furthermore, and here's the depressing point, we're giving the idiot publicity. And judging by the fact he's on air at 2 a.m., he clearly needs all the help and publicity he can get because 99.99999% of Americans don't know he even exists. I'd never even heard of him until this racket. So can we just please drop this and move on?
1. Just a Tuesday - Amelia Curran
2. Waiting around - Drive
3. Stuck in a moment you can't get out of - U2
4. Born to run (live) - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band*
5. Ancestor's song - Robbie Robertson